The TTC will be reconstructing the intersection at King / Queen / Roncesvalles / Queensway (KQRQ) in 2019. The construction will take place in three phases as outlined below. This is a joint project by the TTC, Toronto’s Transportation Services and Water Division.
Overall Scope of work – Starting in April 2019
* As part of the state of good repair work, the aging sewer and track around the intersection needs to be replaced
* Relocating the eastbound centre platform streetcar stop to the far side of the intersection
* Realigning the King Street West leg to create a better intersection angle and increase green space
* Modifying / constructing street car platforms at Glendale Avenue
* Continue the bump-out treatment on Roncesvalles at this intersection
As part of the Sunnyside Community Association area traffic study that was completed in 2008, the city will also be:
* Modifying the signal at Glendale Avenue and Queensway
* Adding dedicated eastbound – left – turn lanes at Sunnyside Avenue, Glendale Avenue, and The Queensway
* Signalizing intersection at Sunnyside and The Queensway
* Modifying the streetcar track vertical alignment (slope at Claude Avenue that will visually and physically enhance the existing right-in / right-out at Claude Avenue)
This work will take place in three main stages.
* Stage 1: Roncesvalles (from Harvard to The Queensway / Queen Street West)
o March 31st, 2019 to August 4, 2019
* Stage 2: Queen Street West and The Queensway (Sunnyside to Triller)
o August 4, 2019 to Winter 2020
* Stage 3: The Queensway (Parkside to Sunnyside)
o April 2019 to October 2019
* Roncesvalles will be closed to Thru-Traffic March 31 to August 4 2019
o Grafton Ave Closed (Traffic must circulate using Laneway to Harvard Avenue
o Access to Queen Street Laneway Closed
o 1 Lane to remain open on Harvard Avenue at all times
o Bump-out retrofit to coincided during this time
* South Side of the Queensway (Parkside Bridge to Sunnyside) April 10 to August 4 2019
o Access to Toronto Pump Station required at all times
o Southside Parkside Bridge to coincide during this stage
o Cross Over required at Colborne Lodge
* Full King – Queen – The Queensway – Roncesvalles intersection closure August 4 to October 7 2019
o Queensway to be local access only to Glendale
o Intersection opens October 8 (All legs of the intersection open, reduced lanes East and West)
More details on each phase of construction will be provided as we approach the specific dates. There will also be a link for this project on my and the City’s website. As with all construction related projects timelines may be slightly altered.
This project will improve public transportation and realm, pedestrian environment, and traffic circulation in this area.
If you have any questions about this project, please do not hesitate to contact my office.
Councillor Gord Perks’ Office
Ward 4 Parkdale – High Park
100 Queen Street West, Suite A14
Toronto, ON M5H 2N2